There are all kinds of statistics out there about how often a child laughs per day, versus the average adult. It seems to amount to child, 300 times a day, adult, less than 20. Yikes. This is a terrible statistic!! Why do we adults become so serious all of the time!
There has been extensive research on the medical benefits of laughter…how it indeed, is the “best medicine.” It has been found to lower blood pressure, reduce stress, boost the immune system, and release endorphins.
Plus, it just feels so good!! Have you ever been annoyed that you had a good laugh?? No, never. So get laughing! If you have small children, you have an advantage. Children are the greatest ways to get in touch with the child inside of us, be silly, play and laugh. Some pets can also initiate laughter. Since I don’t have either children or pets, here are some of my tips to get those daily chuckles:
1. Get your butt to the comedy club and see some good improv or stand-up!
2. JOIN an improv group…it’s a valuable skill and it’s good to have hobbies.
3. Watch a comedic film or tv series…although my tv almost never goes on, I do see the value in watching 20 mins of comedy each day, if it does get the laughter out.
4. Tickle somebody…the crazy body gestures and facial expressions someone makes just to avoid being tickled are priceless…it will be sure to make you laugh!…if anything, the laughter of the ticklee will pull it out of you as well.
5. Play somewhat inappropriate adult games with your friends, such as Apples to Apples, Cards Against Humanity, Compatibility, etc..
6. Play appropriate games with children or adults, such as Charades, Pictionary, tag, kickball, …
7. Get together with old friends regularly, if you can. If not, group chats are second best. I don’t know about you, but nothing makes me laugh more than my college friends, as we re-live our crazy college days….
8. Watch this video….because laughter is contagious!!