I know, it doesn’t smell good. Actually, when I was a child, I had a really bad habit of biting my nails. My parents’ solution? Putting apple cider vinegar (ACV) on my fingers. I was so grossed out by the smell, and even though the smell fades fairly quickly, it was enough for me to finally kick my nail-biting habit.
Now, however, I can’t live without it. I use it for practically everything!! It really is a miracle product. Have you seen the movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding? The Greek father uses windex for everything, as the cure all for cure all. This is what ACV is like for me. It is my windex.
From my natural alkalizing remedy to shining my hair to removing pesticides from my fruit and veggies, ACV has become a staple product in my house. In all cases I dilute it in water. When I ingest it, I take it as a shot, but again, diluted in water.
Disclaimer: in my own personal experience, ACV really helps the balance of my body. However, I don’t take it every day for a long period of time. Like everything else, I do believe it’s good to give your body a break from things from time to time, and ACV doesn’t sit well in everyone’s stomach. And ACV could also have negative effects on our teeth enamel in excess, which is why I am also sure to brush my teeth after I have my dose.
Here are 9 ways I use ACV to help my body stay balanced:
- Your liver’s best friend: ACV cleans our organs! Detox party. In the same way it cleans our countertops by removing scum and grease, it does the same thing to our organs.
- A bottle of whoop ass: ACV is the ultimate alkalizer, as it helps the body maintain a healthy alkaline pH level. Why does this matter? It’s when our body has too much acidity that we lose energy and are more prone to infections, illness and even diseases. Feel like you’re coming down with something? Take a shot of ACV, or put a shot in hot water with a teaspoon of honey and sprinkle of cinnamon, and drink as a tea.
- Mucous be gone: ACV is great for our whole lymphatic system! When you take a shot of ACV you can (excuse this part, it’s a bit gross) immediately feel it cutting right through the gooey stuff. And for that reason it’s known for reducing the symptoms of allergies.
- No way, yeast infection: the moment I feel a little “off” down there, I take a shot of ACV. It fights off candida with its natural enzymes. Prevention! This is way better than waiting until the infection has won and going to bed with those cold thick creams inside of you.
- Weight regulator: I haven’t intentionally used ACV for this purpose, but I have realized that even in winter, when I tend to eat a bit more and skip workouts (blanket and tea on a cold day, or the gym?..hmmm), that my weight stays regulated. Many people use ACV to aid in weight loss due to its acetic acid.
- Toner: remember how ACV maintains a good pH level inside our bodies? It has the same magic externally on our skin. Yes, it will stink the first few seconds, but the smell fades. Dilute ACV with two parts water on a cotton ball and you’re set.
- Does my hair look too shiny today? ACV makes for an excellent hair shiner! You won’t see that in a Pantene commercial. After you shampoo, take about ½ teaspoon (or more if you have really long hair) and dilute it with about a cup of water and put it throughout your hair. I let it sit in my hair for a couple of minutes. If your hair is dull like mine, do this a few times a week. The smell goes away once the hair dries.
- Pesticides schmesticides: it’s harder to find organic fruits and veggies in Madrid than it is in Los Angeles, but i do what I can. Organic or not, I have the same routine when I come home from the market. I put all the produce in a colander in the sink, and use a spray bottle with ACV and water and spray everything. I let it sit on my fruits and veggies for about 30 minutes, then I rinse them. In today’s mass-production world, pesticides are everywhere. This little ACV spray step isn’t very time consuming and it’s so worth it. You really don’t want those pesticides entering your body and messing things up.
- Natural cleaner: with ½ cup of ACV and cup of water, you get the ultimate all-purpose cleaner. From your bathroom to your kitchen, this natural solution will leave your house clean and without the dangerous chemicals that get inhaled into your lungs. A healthy home is a happy home.
I’ve heard of ACV used in many other ways, such as relieving heartburn or killing the fleas off your dog. Isn’t it pretty crazy that this one little magical vinegar can give so much value?
If you’ve got another tip or secret about using ACV, I invite you to please leave a comment below!